Planning permission is required for all types of development if your project involves the following – this is defined as development.
  • building,
  • engineering,
  • mining
  • or other operations in, on, over or under land,
  • Or the making of any material change in the use of any buildings or other lands.

Householder Permitted Development Rights

Planning legislation specifies types of development that can be carried out without planning permission. The most common of these relates to extensions and alterations to houses. The Scottish Government has produced Guidance on Householder Permitted Development Rights.

Non Householder Permitted Development Rights

Permitted Development Rights can also apply to retail, industrial and other types of development as well as allowing certain changes of use.

The legislation around this can be very complicated so for advice, take a look at the Scottish Government’s planning page which outlines where you will need Planning Permission. You can also check for permitted changes of use as defined in the Use Classes Order.

Permitted development rights are heavily restricted for buildings in conservation areas and do not apply to listed buildings. You should always contact us before undertaking any works to a listed building.

Next Steps

Should you require planning permission and would like some advice, then please see our page on Pre Application Advice. Alternatively, you can see our page on how to apply for Planning Permission. However, if you don't require permission but would like written confirmation your development is lawful, you can apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness.

Planning Guidance and Advice Toolbox

Explanation of procedures for handling and determining planning applications.

Last updated: Thursday, March 24, 2022 2:21 PM